I came up with this recipe in my attempt to re-create a meal at a European restaurant. The hearty Gorgonzola sauce pairs well with the chicken and pasta.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place broccoli and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in 3 tablespoons butter until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese until blended.
- Drain pasta and broccoli; add to onion mixture. Add chicken; heat through. Season with pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Gorgonzola Chicken Penne in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p151
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Gorgonzola Chicken Penne
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review