Your guests will certainly be impressed when you serve Wellingtons. Besides being a wonderful, special entree, it is so easy on the cook. Most of it can be prepared a day ahead and it bakes in 20 minutes.—Joyce Moynihan, Lakeville, Minnesota
- 8 beef tenderloin steaks (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 2 tablespoons butter in batches. Remove from the skillet; cool slightly and refrigerate until chilled.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in remaining butter until tender. Add the garlic and remaining salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 14-in square. Cut into four 6-1/2-in. squares (use scraps to make decorative cutouts if desired).
- Place 2 tablespoons cheese in the center of each square; top with 3 tablespoons mushroom mixture and a steak. Lightly brush pastry edges with egg. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak; pinch seams to seal tightly.
- Place seam side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cut four small slits in top of pastry. Arrange cutouts over tops if desired. Brush with egg. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and thyme. Serve with beef wellingtons. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Gorgonzola Beef Wellingtons in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p35
Reviews for Gorgonzola Beef Wellingtons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review