Gorgonzola Baked Apples with Balsamic Syrup
Gorgonzola cheese and a balsamic vinegar reduction sauce are pleasing partners to sweet apples. Serve this fruity favorite alongside any entree. —Crystal Holsinger, Surprise, Arizona
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, chopped
- 3 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 medium tart apples, cored
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Stuff apples
- with mixture and place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until apples are
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil; cook until
- liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup. Drizzle over apples. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 stuffed apple with 2 teaspoons balsamic syrup equals 226 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.