Goose with Corn Bread Stuffing Recipe
I've been making this special entree ever since my husband and I were first married many years ago. The dressing pairs well with the moist meat. Patsy Faye Steenbock, Riverton, Wyoming
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 domestic goose (10 to 12 pounds)
- 1-2/3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups grated peeled apples
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried thyme, marjoram and rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- Prepare corn bread according to package directions; cool on a wire rack. Rub inside of goose cavity with salt. Prick skin well; set aside. Cut corn bread into cubes; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Place in a large bowl.
- In a skillet, saute chopped onions, mushrooms and celery in butter; add to corn bread cubes. Gently stir in apples, pecans, shredded carrots, parsley, herbs and pepper. Add broth; toss gently. Stuff the goose body and neck cavities; truss opening.
- Place carrot chunks, onion wedges and garlic in a shallow roasting pan. Place goose breast side up over vegetables. Pour wine or additional broth over goose.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° (cover with foil during the last hour to prevent over browning). Cover and let stand for 10-15 minutes before carving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Goose with Corn Bread Stuffing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p117
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Goose with Corn Bread Stuffing(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Cornbread Stuffing >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Goose Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >