Gooey Chocolate-Caramel Bars
There is one word for these barsscrumptious! I once substituted peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips...they're wonderful that way, too.
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 package German chocolate or chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips and caramels
- with 1/3 cup milk. Stir in nuts. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter and remaining milk; pat
- half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 7-10 minutes. Spread chocolate/caramel mixture over crust; top with
- reserved cake mixture. Bake 12-15 minutes longer. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 297 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.