Gooey Chocolate Caramel Bars Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 jar (12 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set half aside for topping.
- 2. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and pecans.
- 3. Whisk caramel topping and remaining flour until smooth; drizzle over top. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Gooey Chocolate Caramel Bars
"Very good, but a little too sweet and rich for me."
"So rich and delicious! I need to try it with ice cream as the description says."
"I made my own salted caramel sauce instead of using store bought. They came out amazing!"
"Mmmmmmm... so good! Love the topping! Didn't have enough pecans so mixed with walnuts... delicious!"
"Of all the things I've baked this is one of my husband's favorites. I love to make these bars with white chocolate chips instead- I've gotten rave reviews with that recipe! I don't know how many times I've given it to someone!"
"I have made this numerous times. I make these for church functions, family gatherings, company & give them as gifts. Everyone that eats them loves them. They are super, super easy. This is one of my husband's favorite treats. He asks for them all the time. They freeze well too."
"This is one of my favorite go-to recipes. It's always been a hit and I've passed the recipe along many times."
"I really questioned using 1 1/2 cups of butter, because I was making other bars that had the same amount of flour and oats and only called for 1 cup of butter. I wish I had gone with my gut. The bars were good, but very greasy. Next time I would reduce the butter and use 1 cup or 1 1/4 at the most."
"just made for the first time last night and i have eaten a whole row already! these are absolutely fantastic and i have a feeling this recipe will get a lot of use!"
"My kids love these bars. I sometimes put some in the freezer to have a few for later."