Instead of preparing plenty of pies when feeding a crowd at Thanksgiving, we suggest you bake of batch of these caramel apple bars.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 10-1/2 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 12 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, water and vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out larger portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; trim pastry even with top edges of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugars, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Stir in cream.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add apple mixture; cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until apples are slightly tender. Stir in walnuts and vanilla. Spoon into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim and seal edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Gooey Caramel Apple Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p115
Reviews for Gooey Caramel Apple Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review