- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 14 ounces caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar cookie mix, pudding mix, butter and egg. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until set.
- In a large saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips.
- Cool completely. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Gooey Butterscotch Bars
Sort By :
"I made these bars today and they are great! I was a little skeptical about how easy (messy) they would be to cut but I chilled them for about an hour and they cut perfectly. It's always a good thing when a recipe is easy to make, looks like the photo and tastes like the description and these do. The only problem I encountered was working with the crust -- it wasn't easy to spread in a 9 X 13 pan so I worked the dough into a ball and then rolled it out (like a pie crust) in a rectangular shape between two sheets of parchment paper - I transferred it to the pan and pressed it into the corners and it was much easier. Next time, I might try the suggestion to add chocolate. I also sprinkled a little sea salt on top of the bars for a "salted caramel" effect."
"First dish that we found much too sweet!"
"These are really good! I used roasted peanuts instead of mixed nuts and used half butterscotch chips and half semi sweet chocolate chips. I found its easier to keep these refrigerated, they stay a little less messy that way. I will definatly make these again!"
"these are so good I shared with several people and they all loved thesevery rich but so so good"
"Wonderfully delicious ! :-)"