Jewel-toned squares made by SueAnn Bunt of Painted Post, New York are softer than store-bought gumdrops.
64 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green and red food coloring
- Additional sugar
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; let stand for 5
- minutes. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining water to a
- boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add the gelatin; reduce
- heat. Simmer and stir for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir
- in extract.
- Divide mixture into two small bowls; add four drops green food
- coloring to one bowl and four drops red to the other. Pour into two
- greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Chill 3 hours or until firm.
- Loosen edges from pan with a knife; turn onto a sugared board. Cut
- into 1/2-in cubes; roll in sugar. Let stand at room temperature,
- uncovered, for 3-4 hours, turning every hour so all sides dry. Cover
- and chill. Yield: about 1 pound.