Goody-Goody Gumdrops Recipe
Jewel-toned squares made by SueAnn Bunt of Painted Post, New York are softer than store-bought gumdrops.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:64 servings
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green and red food coloring
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add the gelatin; reduce heat. Simmer and stir for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in extract.
- 2. Divide mixture into two small bowls; add four drops green food coloring to one bowl and four drops red to the other. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Chill 3 hours or until firm.
- 3. Loosen edges from pan with a knife; turn onto a sugared board. Cut into 1/2-in cubes; roll in sugar. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, for 3-4 hours, turning every hour so all sides dry. Cover and chill. Yield: about 1 pound.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC