Good Fortune & Cheer Cookies
You'll love stuffing Christmas greetings and well wishes into these fun homemade cookies—and your family and friends will love receiving them! —Beverly Preston, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
18 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 5 min./batch + standing
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- Crushed peppermint candies
- Red, white and green nonpareils
- Write fortunes on small strips of paper (3 in. x 1/2 in.); set aside.
- Using a pencil, draw two 3-in. circles on a sheet of parchment
- paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg whites and extracts
- until well blended. Add flour; mix well (batter will be thick).
- Spread a scant tablespoonful of batter over each circle. Bake at
- 400° for 4-5 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Slide parchment paper onto a work surface. Cover one cookie with a
- kitchen towel to keep warm. Place a fortune in the center of the
- other cookie; loosen cookie from parchment paper with a thin
- spatula. Fold cookie in half over fortune so the edges meet; hold
- edges together for 3 seconds.