Good Fortune & Cheer Cookies Recipe
You'll love stuffing Christmas greetings and well wishes into these fun homemade cookies—and your family and friends will love receiving them! —Beverly Preston, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- Crushed peppermint candies
- Red, white and green nonpareils
- 1. Write fortunes on small strips of paper (3 in. x 1/2 in.); set aside. Using a pencil, draw two 3-in. circles on a sheet of parchment paper. Place paper, pencil mark down, on a baking sheet; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg whites and extracts until well blended. Add flour; mix well (batter will be thick). Spread a scant tablespoonful of batter over each circle. Bake at 400° for 4-5 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- 3. Slide parchment paper onto a work surface. Cover one cookie with a kitchen towel to keep warm. Place a fortune in the center of the other cookie; loosen cookie from parchment paper with a thin spatula. Fold cookie in half over fortune so the edges meet; hold edges together for 3 seconds.
- 4. Place center of cookie over the rim of a glass; gently press ends down to bend cookie. Cool for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack. Repeat with second cookie. If cookies become too cool to fold, return to oven to soften for 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter and fortunes.
- 5. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Partially dip cookies or drizzle as desired; place on waxed paper. Sprinkle with crushed candies and nonpareils. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC