Good-for-You Morning Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and shredded
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg whites, egg, applesauce, orange juice, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots, pecans, coconut, raisins and apple.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use foil liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 203 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Reviews for Good-for-You Morning Muffins
"Too many ingredients, made me have to shop before I tired to make it. Kids and Husband said it was not sweet enough. I liked it!"
"I really like this recipe however I would think they would use oat bran instead of white flour. I used coconut palm sugar in stead of reg sugar. It has a lower glycemic index. Great muffins! Enjoy"
"A good for you muffin filled with lots of yummy ingredients. Keeps me satisfied all morning."