Good-for-You Grain Bread Recipe
“I developed this recipe for my sister when I learned she was diabetic,” says Kandi Lilley of Wilton, Maine. “Filled with whole grains, this moist bread makes great toast or sandwiches.”
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oats, milk powder, flaxseed, wheat germ, oil, brown sugar and salt. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 125 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Good-for-You Grain Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC