Gone Fishin Chowder Recipe
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked fish
- 1. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onion and thyme in reserved drippings.
- 2. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add tomatoes, parsley and bacon; cook for 10 minutes. Add fish; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup (prepared without salt) equals 65 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Gone Fishin Chowder
"I really enjoyed gone fish chowder. I did chance the dice tomatoes for rotel to give a different taste"
"This was a lot of work for very little flavor."