- 4 bacon strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked fish
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onion and thyme in reserved drippings.
- Add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and bacon; cook for 10 minutes. Add fish; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Gone Fishin Chowder in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p42
Reviews for Gone Fishin Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 23, 2010
"I really enjoyed gone fish chowder. I did chance the dice tomatoes for rotel to give a different taste"
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2010
"This was a lot of work for very little flavor."