- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water or red wine
- 2 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 white onions or yellow onions, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch slices
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 12 large fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the tomato soup, water or wine, bouillon and seasonings; pour over beef. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and celery.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles or French bread. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Gone-All-Day Stew
Sort By :
"I haven't tried this one yet, but it is very similar to a beef stew recipe that I have made for many years, that is delicious. I don't understand uwasv_ways review. Maybe it was the worcestershire sauce that spoiled it, considering that the recipe doesn't even call for any worcestershire sauce! I think the reference to what his/her dogs eat and lick was disgusting and uncalled for."
"This mess should be called Italian garbage stew. I used half the amount of italian seasoning and even after a liberal amount of worcestershire sauce all I could taste was that Italian seasoning. My dogs said to make more. But what would you expect from them based on some of the things they eat and lick?"
"Sounds great but have not tried it yet"
"This is absolutely wonderful. We have it at least twice a month!"
"This is very good and it makes your house smell amazing while it is cooking. Even my picky-eater daughter liked this. I used 1/2 cup of red wine and 1 can of beef broth instead of any water and the beef bouillion cubes. This is a great cold-weather day dinner. Takes a little time to prep the veggies, so if you are using the crock pot on a work day, I would suggest doing the prep work the night before."