- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water or red wine
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 white onions or yellow onions, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch slices
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 12 large fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the tomato soup, water or wine, bouillon and seasonings; pour over beef. Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and celery.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles or French bread. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Gone-All-Day Stew
"This is my go-to recipe for beef stew. I've been making it since the original recipe came out in TOH, but without the mushrooms. It's the herb combination that makes it so special. The house smells wonderful all day while it cooks in the crockpot."
"Made this stew for a family dinner. It was a big hit! We didn't have a large enough crockpot so I put it in a lasagna pan and covered it with foil. Then baked it at 285F for 6 hours."
"made just as printed w/o mushrooms and celery since I didn't have any (wasn't going out in a snow storm) but I had to add about 2 cups of beef broth. It was really short on liquid and it needs something extra to flavor it up other wise it smelled good while cooking. I used 1/2 c of red wine instead of 1 c."
"Taking longer than the 4-5 hours stated. Vegetables not done-:("
"This was delicious !!! The wine gave it very good flavor. We do not eat beef, so I made it with shawarma and it was perfect. Also I agree with destine about the rudeness of the one star review Just because there is anonymity. Since 19 out of the 20 reviews were rated 4 or 5 stars, the reviewer must have done something wrong."