"Even less expensive cuts of meat become deliciously tender when cooked slowly in this savory casserole," reports Janet Haak Aarness of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. "Wild rice and almonds give this meal a special look and taste."
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 pounds boneless round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- Place ingredients in order listed in a 3-qt. slow cooker (do not
- stir). Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until rice is tender.
- Stir before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 192 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.