This is a dish my wife had to learn to make in her high school home economics class. I've adapted and renamed it. To me, it has no equal and brings to mind those special days of the '40's. —Richard, Ramsey
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, softened and divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- Cut eggs in half; remove yolks and set aside. Chop egg whites; set
- aside. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the
- flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in egg whites; heat through. Spread each slice of toast with 1
- teaspoon remaining butter. Pour sauce over toast. Force egg yolks
- through a sieve to break into small pieces; sprinkle over sauce.
- Yield: 2 servings.