- 2 hard-cooked eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, softened and divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 slices bread, toasted
- Cut eggs in half; remove yolks and set aside. Chop egg whites; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in egg whites; heat through. Spread each slice of toast with 1 teaspoon remaining butter. Pour sauce over toast. Force egg yolks through a sieve to break into small pieces; sprinkle over sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Goldenrod Eggs
"This recipe has been a family traditional breakfast for 5 generations. Although in my family we use either half and half or real cream, and sometimes serve it over potatoes instead of Toast.YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!"
"When I learned this recipe, it was called creamed eggs on toast."
"I tried this recipe to use up some of our leftover Easter eggs. It was very good & everyone enjoyed it. I doubled the recipe & served it over biscuits."
"This was our traditional Easter breakfast recipe. Used up a lot of eggs, and was delicious. My mother served it on biscuits. I like english muffins. A lot of people are afraid of trying to make white sauce because of the lumps. To be lump free, warm the milk in the microwave for a minute or so. Voila! No lumps! Also, try adding a tablespoon or two of sherry to the sauce. Gets it up past the home ec. level."
"Been making this handed down recipe for years....a family favorite!"
"This is a P.S.Our teacher gave it the classy name of Eggs a La Goldenrod."
"I love this! I'll bet everyone that took Home Ec. had to learn this. Wonder why. I graduated in 1958 so you know how long this recipe's been hanging around :o)"
"My Mom served this almost every week as a meatless meal! Still one of my favorite comfort foods. Glad to see the receipe is still around. I have passed it on to my daughter who also loves it and puts cheese on top. Also good with a little curry added."