Golden Walnut Caramel Squares Recipe
A walnut-packed caramel tops a buttery crust in this decadent candy.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1. Line a 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into prepared pan; prick crust with a fork. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until set and edges begin to brown.
- 3. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chips to soften for a few minutes, then spread over crust; set aside.
- 4. In a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook sugar until melted. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cream and corn syrup. Slowly pour in cooked sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts. Pour over prepared crust.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel layer. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 7. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; cut candy into squares. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
1 piece: 96 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Golden Walnut Caramel Squares
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC