- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- Line a 9-in. baking pan with foil and grease the foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into prepared pan; prick crust with a fork. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until set and edges begin to brown.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Allow chips to soften for a few minutes, then spread over crust; set aside.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook sugar until melted. Do not stir. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cream and corn syrup. Slowly pour in cooked sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts. Pour over prepared crust.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel layer. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Gently peel off foil; cut candy into squares. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Golden Walnut Caramel Squares in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p153
Reviews for Golden Walnut Caramel Squares(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Candy Recipes >
- Caramel Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Candy Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Candy >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Holiday Candy >
- Low Carb Desserts >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >