Mushrooms, green peppers and onion are added to boxed macaroni and cheese in this comforting take on the classic tuna bake. "It is a delicious, hearty and quick-to-fix dinner," writes Helen Suter from Golconda, Illinois. "I serve it with a tossed salad and hot rolls."
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese mix
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (6 ounces) tuna, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- Set aside the cheese sauce packet. In a saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper in butter. Return macaroni to the pan. Add milk and contents of cheese sauce packet; stir until smooth. Stir in the soup, tuna, mushrooms and pimientos.
- Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Golden Tuna Casserole in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p47
Reviews for Golden Tuna Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review