- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- CRANBERRY BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- In a 10-in. cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter; tilt to coat bottom and sides. Add the onion, jalapeno and 1/4 teaspoon chili powder; cook over medium-low heat until onion is lightly browned and tender. Stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar until dissolved; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and remaining chili powder and brown sugar. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese and chilies.
- Pour over onion mixture in skillet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook cranberry sauce and lime peel over low heat until heated through. Cool completely.
- Let corn bread stand for 10 minutes. Invert corn bread onto a serving platter; cut into wedges. Pour cranberry mixture over softened butter; serve with corn bread. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Golden Sweet Onion Corn Bread in Fresh Home Winter 2011, p104
Reviews for Golden Sweet Onion Corn Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review