This special recipe from my mother-in-law is one that I enjoy making as part of our fall meals. The soup is so pretty that it dresses up the table. We think it hits the spot on crisp evenings. -Maryann Klein, Washington Township, New Jersey
- 3 leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Grated Parmesan cheese and chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks and carrots in butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the squash, broth, zucchini, salt, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool until lukewarm.
- In a blender, puree soup in small batches until smooth; return to pan. Stir in cream and milk; heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with cheese and chives if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Golden Squash Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p27
Reviews for Golden Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review