- 4 eggs
- 4 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, squash, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the squash mixture and mix until smooth. Pour into pastry shells. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Reviews for Golden Squash Pie
"If your family likes pumpkin pie, they will love this pie! It has a smoother texture and milder flavor, but still tastes rich and creamy. If you do not want the fuss of preparing the squash you can purchase already prepared butternut squash in the frozen foods section at the grocery store."