Golden Shrimp Brunch Casserole
During the '40s, Mother had a close group of friends whose husbands or sons were off to war. To ease their worries, the group frequently met for lunch.
This was one of my mother's favorite lunch recipes. I recall the scent of melted cheese baking and the custard-like souffle.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 slices bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 2 cups frozen cooked salad shrimp, thawed
- 8 ounces sliced process American cheese, cut into thin strips
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, parsley, mustard and salt. In
- a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer with bread cubes, shrimp
- and cheese; pour egg mixture over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes
- before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.