Golden Sesame Braid Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, salt, 3 eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each portion into thirds. Shape each piece into a 12-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking pan; braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Beat remaining egg and cold water; brush over braids. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 139 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Golden Sesame Braid
"I make most of my breads during the cooler seasons. It fills the house with a wonderful smell. I made one loaf with seeds and one without. Both were delicious. I gave half of each to my friend who in turn shared them at her job. Everyone loved it. Will be making this recipe every year."
"This bread is definitely something I will make again. It turned out really well, and was delicious."
"I have used this recipe many times over the years. It makes a beautiful loaf with impressive presentation. I always get high compliments on it. A good variation is to add 1 tsp minced garlic to the dough, and top with an italian seasoning and rock salt. Hope you love it as much as I do!"