The "secret" in this meat loaf is cheese—one of our state's claim to fame! This recipe was given to me by a very good college friend.—Marilyn Leum, Westby, Wisconsin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, bread crumbs, onion, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Fold in cheese. Pat into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until no pink remains. Drain. Let stand a few minutes before slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Golden Secret Meat Loaf in Country Ground Beef 1993, p29
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Golden Secret Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review