Golden Santa Bread
A friend of mine shared this fun idea. She made it with purchased frozen dough, and I use a family bread recipe. The finished loaf looks complicated. but it's actually simple to create. —Vicki Melies, Elkhorn, Nebraska
16-18 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 2 raisins
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a
- small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130°.
- Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in eggs
- until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly
- floured surface; divide into two portions, one slightly larger than