- 4 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 quarts cold water
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a stockpot, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until salt and brown sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add the cold water to cool the brine to room temperature.
- Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the water, apple, onion and cinnamon. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until apples are tender; drain water.
- Drain and discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Place cooked apple mixture, rosemary and sage in turkey cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Rub with oil and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving; discard apple mixture and herbs. Yield: 14 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Golden Roasted Turkey
Sort By :
"5 star recipe... My family loves it love the moisture"
"I used this recipe last year and it was perfect. The turkey was moist and juicy. I never used the brine method before and it seems to be the key step."
"If you wait till temp reaches 180 degrees and then let rest, covered for 15min (temp now has reached 185 degrees) you are assured to have another dried out turkey. The rest of the recipe is now rendered useless. Roast bird @ 325 degrees after brining 12 hrs till internal temp reaches 165 degrees. Remove bird to large ice chest, placing bird in a clean pan and cover w/ bath towels for 15 to 30 min. The FDA changed the cooking temp reccomendation in 2006 and many cookbooks have the old 180 degree temp. If you have a Butterball, kosher or any other self basting turkey, DO NOT BRINE. It will be too salty."