Golden Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 4 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 quarts cold water
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a stockpot, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir until salt and brown sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add the cold water to cool the brine to room temperature.
- 2. Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- 3. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the water, apple, onion and cinnamon. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until apples are tender; drain water.
- 4. Drain and discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Place cooked apple mixture, rosemary and sage in turkey cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 5. Place turkey breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Rub with oil and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving; discard apple mixture and herbs. Yield: 14 servings.
10 ounces cooked turkey equals 538 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 245 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, trace carbohydrate, trace fiber, 72 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer