Golden Refrigerator Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg, salt, 4 cups flour, yeast mixture and remaining water; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining water; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 4. Punch dough down and divide into thirds; shape each portion into 12 rolls in desired shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3 dozen.
One roll (prepared with egg substitute equivalent to one egg) equals 126 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.