Golden Refrigerator Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg, salt, 4 cups flour, yeast mixture and remaining water; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining water; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 4. Punch dough down and divide into thirds; shape each portion into 12 rolls in desired shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 126 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Golden Refrigerator Rolls
"Very good and easy. Light and yummy. The kids loved them and so did I. The dough doubled in size after only 4-5 hours in the fridge, which was good because I'd started in the morning and wanted to bake them for supper and didn't have time to leave them in the fridge for the full 8 hours. I made 12 rolls for supper and froze the other 2/3 of the dough for later."