Golden Raisin Wheat Bread Recipe
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups (16 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, combine raisins and water; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well; set aside. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a saucepan, heat yogurt, water, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Add raisins and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 99 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Golden Raisin Wheat Bread
"Easy to make! And great with a little peanut butter on it!"