- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, milk and egg. Stir in bran; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir in bran mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins (batter will be thick).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Golden Raisin Bran Muffins
"Such a treat to find a bran muffin recipe that is light and fluffy! Adding the nutmeg and ginger worked wonderfully, too :)"
"Most bran muffin recipes I've tried have made muffins that were very dense; these were surprisingly light and tender. (I only had about 3/4 cup All-Bran, so I made up the difference with ground flaxseed; I don't know if that accounts for the lighter texture.) I also substituted dried cranberries for the golden raisins, just a personal taste preference."
"My son liked them - I thought they were a bit crumbly...but maybe I just got tired of cleaning up his high chair after he would eat one! :)"
"I tried a few recipes for raisin bran muffins. Took the advice of the other commenter and added ginger and nutmeg. They came out good. Lacks a little flavor, but so do all bran muffins. Good recipe."
"These muffins were very good; however, the next time I make them, I will add a pinch of ginger and 1/4 tsp nutmug. Thanks for a great recipe!"