Golden Potato Surprise Recipe
- 4 to 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In large saucepan, melt butter. Saute onions until tender; stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; let cool slightly. Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard. Pour sauce over potatoes; transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 353 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Golden Potato Surprise
"This dish is special enough for holidays, but I don't reserve it only for them. It turns ANY day into a special one!"
"I've been making this recipe for years! Was so sad when I misplaced my recipe card. Thank goodness for internet searches!"
"Love the thyme in this recipe which I always use more potatoes to increase the servings! I also use the entire 12 oz. package of bacon, leave the skin on the potatoes, and add a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Absolutely amazing!"
"My whole family give this a thumbs up! They really liked it. However, I would increase the seasonings as previous reviewers have recommended. This is basically a creamed potato recipe, which is a nice change from other ways of preparing the spud. Will be making this again."
"A Thanksgiving hit! I substituted freshly chopped parsley (about a tablespoon) for the thyme."
"My husband, adult daughter, and myself all loved this dish! I didn't have half and half so I used light cream, I did add about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic. I will certainly make this again."
"Bad, bad stuff. Un-palatable, insipid and downright gross.One could have added much to this dish with a little forethought."
"Had no taste what so ever...Only flavor to come through was the dijon mustard. Was embarrased because I made it for company"
"Wonderful!! I made this for Christmas this year, and everyone was very pleased."
"I added a couple tablespoons of parm."
"This was so good. It was like a hot potato salad for the winter months! I used regular onions and deli mustard, and it was so delicious. For an easier and faster way to cook the diced potatoes, I put them in a bowl and covered it with plastic wrap, then microwaved it on high for 10 minutes (stirring halfway thru). It keeps more nutrients in the potatoes, I'm sure!Great recipe!"
"this was unbelivable cant get that taste out of my mouth"