Golden Potato Surprise Recipe
I've had this recipe forever and have tinkered with it over the years to perfect it. Now it's a family favorite. I serve it a lot during the holidays. —Karen Sheets, Shelton, Washington
- 4 to 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In large saucepan, melt butter. Saute onions until tender; stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; let cool slightly. Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard. Pour sauce over potatoes; transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 353 calories, 25 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC