- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 green onions, chopped
- Dash salt and pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; gently stir in potatoes. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish (dish will be full).
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Golden Potato Casserole
"I was overruled by the boys in the house. They really liked this. I thought it was o.k. but not too much flavor. I have many other potato side dishes that I'd rather make like the Loaded Baked Potato Salad on this site."
"5 stars! Made this to go with Christmas ham and everyone loved it. Will make again for sure!"
"This is the MOST REQUESTED side dish that I make! It is delicious and so easy! I use frozen hash brown potatoes instead of peeling and boiling though."
"Instead of peeling and cubing potatoes, get a bag of frozen southern-style hash browns (with or without the peppers and onions). I would crush corn flakes and mix with melted butter, and sprinkle on top before baking. Increase baking time to an hour at 350 degrees."
"This recipe has potential, but as-written it isn't a keeper for my family. We are cheese lovers, but there was simply too much cheese in this one. The consistancy wasn't creamy at all - it all stuck together in one big cheesy blob. If I were to try this again, I might use half the cheese and add 1/3 cup milk. The taste, however, was fantastic. I used a sprinkling of dried minced onion instead of green onions and substituted cream of mushroom soup."