Golden Potato and Ham Soup Recipe
“I have requests for this soup for lots of family events and especially deer camp. If you're in the mood for comfort food, this is the recipe for you!”—Shelly Woods, Blissfield, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 6 cups cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup real bacon bits
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and remaining milk until cheese is melted. Add ham and bacon; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups equals 401 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,666 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC