Golden Orange Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Orange Buttercream Frosting or frosting of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water and orange juice, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 15 cupcakes.
1 each: 197 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Golden Orange Cupcakes
"The cupcakes turn out too dry"
"The cupcakes were wonderful! I made these for my daughters baby shower, everyone loved the citrus tang and aroma."
"My kids really liked these."
"This is a great recipe, but a bit dry. So, if you put a dish with some water in the oven with it, the water makes them moist and yummy!"
"Very simple to make. Great tasting. I made this recipe almost exactly to the recipe here. The only thing I did differently was add two more teaspoons of orange juice to the batter."
"Oh my gracious. These are some of the best cupcakes I have ever made. I made the following modifications: I used coconut oil in place of shortening, I used 2 large eggs in place of the 4 egg yolks, and I used 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice instead of water. Just a little tip for a burst of flavor: brush the top of your baked cupcakes with a bit of the orange juice. :) These were absolutely wonderful, thank you so much for sharing!!"
"This is a very good recipe. I did change it up a bit. Instead of using 4 egg yolks I used 2 whole eggs, and I did not have orange extract. Instead I used a bit of extra vanilla extract to enhance the vanilla flavor. Rather than using 1/3 cup of water I just used more orange juice and added a dab more water while I was mixing. Oh, and I didn't have cake flour so I used all purpose (not sure what the difference is). The cupcakes turned out moist and fluffy and delicious. I will certainly make these again!"