Golden Orange Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Orange Buttercream Frosting or frosting of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water and orange juice, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 15 cupcakes.
1 serving (1 each) equals 197 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Golden Orange Cupcakes
"The cupcakes turn out too dry"
"The cupcakes were wonderful! I made these for my daughters baby shower, everyone loved the citrus tang and aroma."
"My kids really liked these."
"This is a great recipe, but a bit dry. So, if you put a dish with some water in the oven with it, the water makes them moist and yummy!"
"Very simple to make. Great tasting. I made this recipe almost exactly to the recipe here. The only thing I did differently was add two more teaspoons of orange juice to the batter."
"Oh my gracious. These are some of the best cupcakes I have ever made. I made the following modifications: I used coconut oil in place of shortening, I used 2 large eggs in place of the 4 egg yolks, and I used 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice instead of water. Just a little tip for a burst of flavor: brush the top of your baked cupcakes with a bit of the orange juice. :) These were absolutely wonderful, thank you so much for sharing!!"
"This is a very good recipe. I did change it up a bit. Instead of using 4 egg yolks I used 2 whole eggs, and I did not have orange extract. Instead I used a bit of extra vanilla extract to enhance the vanilla flavor. Rather than using 1/3 cup of water I just used more orange juice and added a dab more water while I was mixing. Oh, and I didn't have cake flour so I used all purpose (not sure what the difference is). The cupcakes turned out moist and fluffy and delicious. I will certainly make these again!"