Citrus lovers will vow they've gone to cupcake heaven when they sample this recipe. To up the sunny flavor, add a teaspoon of orange extract in place of vanilla. —Helen Hassler, Denver, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Orange Buttercream Frosting or frosting of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water and orange juice, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 15 cupcakes.
Originally published as Golden Orange Cupcakes in Country Woman January/February 2007, p35
Reviews for Golden Orange Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review