- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions, quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat. Add cheese; heat just until cheese is melted (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Golden Onion Soup
"We were somewhat disappointed with this soup. How do you get the "golden" color? Was I supposed to caramelize the onions? You can't do that in 20 minutes. The recipe didn't call for pepper, herbs, or any seasoning. We didn't care for the stringy mozzarella cheese. Sorry, but this one didn't do it for us."
"Try this soup!!This is one of the best and easiest soups I have ever made. It is a standing favorite with all of my friends and family. I usually add more onion than is called for for a little extra flavor."
"This soup is my daughter's favorite. She always asks me to make it for her."