Golden Mashed Potatoes
Meet the Cook: When there's no gravy with the meat, this is great to serve in place of regularly mashed potatoes. I make it often to take to picnics and church socials. My husband even made it for his family's reunion one year when I couldn't go!
We have a grown son, a 17-year-old son and a 12-year-old daughter.
-Cindy Stith, Wickliffe, Kentucky
10-12 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 9 large potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the potatoes and carrots in
- boiling salted water until tender; drain. Place in a bowl; mash and
- set aside.
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add to potato
- mixture. Add sour cream, salt and pepper; mix until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with
- cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 370 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.