Golden Lemon Pound Cake
Years ago, while pastoring a church in New Mexico, I worked in a nursing home. For a Christmas party, I baked this pound cake. Everyone raved over the treats "my wife" made. When I told them I'd made them myself, they were astonished.—Douglas Jennings, Ottawa, Kansas
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy,
- about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Stir in lemon juice and extract. Combine the flour, baking
- powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately
- with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at
- 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool
- completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 226 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium,