Years ago, while pastoring a church in New Mexico, I worked in a nursing home. For a Christmas party, I baked this pound cake. Everyone raved over the treats "my wife" made. When I told them I'd made them myself, they were astonished.—Douglas Jennings, Ottawa, Kansas
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Golden Lemon Pound Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p53
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Golden Lemon Pound Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review