“This wonderful bread, made from my grandmother’s recipe, won Best of Show at the New Mexico State Fair,“ says Marjorie Rose of Albuquerque. “It’s so good! My grandchildren love it, too.“
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; immediately pour over warm bread. Cool completely before removing from pan. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Golden Lemon Bread in Taste of Home August/September 2007, p6
Reviews for Golden Lemon Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review