- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack.
- Combine the glaze ingredients; immediately pour over warm bread. Cool completely before removing from pan. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Golden Lemon Bread
Sort By :
"I made two loaves of this bread today and it is very good! I added a tablespoon of lemon zest to the batter, along with a teaspoon of lemon extract. The bread looks beautiful, has a wonderful aroma, and a tender crumb. The lemon glaze is perfect! Thank you for sharing your Grandmother's recipe, Marjorie Rose, it is definitely a keeper!"
"Yum... I was craving lemon bread and this came out gorgeous. Added 1 tsp lemon extract to the batter, used butter instead of shortening, and baked it for 50 minutes. If you use the proper sized loaf pan that is indicated in the recipe, then it shouldn't take longer than that!"
"I agree this is considered ?lemon bread? only due to the flavors added to the icing. In the bread, I added 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon peel to enhance the bread with the lemon flavors. The bread was a hit in our home. A very moist and refreshing bread. The original magazine does say 55-60 minutes and definitely will need that amount of time to fully bake the bread."
"Was wonderful! recipe from magazine does say bake for 55-60mins. I did 60mins and bread was really brown on the outside. next time Ill watch it more closely. Love the lemon glaze..mabye Ill double that next time! YUM"
"very good.. everyone liked it."