Golden Harvest Apple Pie Recipe
You'll think Grandma was baking in the kitchen when you taste your first bite of this old-fashioned pie. The golden, tender crust holds a yummy apple filling with a hint of orange.—Drew Menne, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- 2. Sprinkle flour over the pastry. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; layer into pastry alternately with apples. Dot with marmalade and butter.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 413 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Golden Harvest Apple Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC