Golden Granola Recipe
"This crunchy granola—which may be eaten as cereal or used to top ice cream or fruit—makes a welcome gift," says Maxine Smith of Owanka, South Dakota. She suggests packaging it in a tin or jar decked with a festive bow.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:18 servings
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or chopped dried apricots
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a saucepan, cook and stir the oil, brown sugar, honey, water and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 275° for 1 hour or until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely. Stir in raisins or apricots. Yield: 18 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 258 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC