Here’s a fantastic first course for guests. Rich, creamy and cheesy, it will warm you from the inside out and stir your appetite for what’s to come.—Charlotte Rogers, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Chives and smoked paprika
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, pepper and allspice until smooth; gradually add the broth, sherry and cream. Bring to a boil. Add mushrooms and garlic. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until melted. Garnish servings with chives and paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Golden Gouda Mushroom Soup in Country Woman October/November 2011, p24
Reviews for Golden Gouda Mushroom Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review