Golden Glow Salad
"MY SISTER and I loved this salad because we thought it tasted like a dessert. We ate a lot of Jell-O when we were growing up, but this was our favorite gelatin dish. I always make this salad for picnics. I provides a fruit and a vegetable, and bright color as well."
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 cup finely shredded carrots
- In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Drain pineapple,
- reserving juice. Add lemon juice and enough cold water to pineapple
- juice to make 1 cup; add salt if desired. Stir into gelatin. Chill
- until slightly set. Stir in pineapple and carrots. Pour into an
- oiled 4-cup mold; cover and chill until firm. Unmold. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with sugar-free gelatin and without add salt) equals 1/2 fruit; also, 35 calories, 42 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 8 gm carbohydrate, trace protein, 0 fat.