Golden Gelatin Salad
This was one of my favorite salads that my grandmother made about 40 years ago. I always looked forward to going to her house because her food was so good. I make this often in the fall. The color and flavor seem to blend in with the season.
-Mrs. Daniel Leaman, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 cup grated carrots
- In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup juice (discard remaining juice or
- save for another use). Set the pineapple aside.
- In a saucepan, bring reserved juice to a boil. Remove from the heart.
- Stir in sugar, salt and gelatin mixture until dissolved. Add orange
- juice and vinegar. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until partially set.
- Fold in the carrots and pineapple. Transfer to a 4-cup mold coated
- with cooking spray. Refrigerate until firm. Unmold onto a serving
- platter. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 82 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.