- 1 pound flaked cooked whitefish, cod or haddock
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Tartar sauce and lemon wedges, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; mix well. Shape into 12 patties, adding additional water if needed; coat with the Italian bread crumbs. In a large skillet, cook the patties in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve immediately with tartar sauce and lemon if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Golden Fish Cakes
"Mixture was a little too wet to form into patties but even though they didn't hold together well, they tasted great! I used leftover halibut from a meal of fish tacos."
"I just loved this recipe, I have been looking for a recipe for fishcakes and no one seems to be able to connect fish with cakes, but they were delicious. thank you."
"This was great"
"This wasn't bad although I had to add way more breadcrumbs to make it stick. If I do again I won't put any water in the mixture. Added parmesan and a bunch of other seasonings - I can just never resist! But they were somewhat of a nightmare to shape into patties and I felt like I had more of the stuff on my hands than got onto the skillet. I definitely don't think I'm a fishcake person. They tasted good though."
"I do not like fishy tasting fish and I made these for my husband and used pollack and I would make them every week they are great"
"I make this a lot for my family. I do add parmesan cheese to it."
"These were even better than I expected."