- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place the apples in a large bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in apple cider until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice.
- Pour over apples; toss to coat. Pour into pastry shell. For topping, combine the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 45-50 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Golden Delicious Apple Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p136
Reviews for Golden Delicious Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 8, 2014
"This pie is really good."