Golden Danish Twists Recipe
These beautiful rolls boast a rich filling, crunchy almonds and a sweet, lemony icing. My family loves them for breakfast on Christmas morning after opening presents.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, butter, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in cream, lemon peel and vanilla.
- 4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread half of the filling lengthwise down half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold dough over filling; seal edges. Cut into eighteen 1-in. strips. Twist and loosely coil each strip. Tuck end under; pinch to seal.
- 5. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 6. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake twists 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- 7. For icing, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and lemon peel until blended. Drizzle over warm twists. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 roll equals 223 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC