Golden Danish Twists Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, butter, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in cream, lemon peel and vanilla.
- 4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread half of the filling lengthwise down half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold dough over filling; seal edges. Cut into eighteen 1-in. strips. Twist and loosely coil each strip. Tuck end under; pinch to seal.
- 5. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 6. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake twists 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- 7. For icing, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and lemon peel until blended. Drizzle over warm twists. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 roll: 223 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Golden Danish Twists
"Big hit at brunch! Recipe makes more than it says - would cut it in 1/2 for sure and still make 25 of them."
"A must have recipe for the holiday. I added 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the recipe."
"Great recipe for a wonderfully delicious treat!! Breads usually don't turn out too well for me, but these rolls are perfect! I cut the ingredients in half since this recipe makes more than enough for my household of two. Also, my husband and I are not huge fans of lemon, so I tweaked the icing recipe to better suit our tastes. (I replaced the lemon juice with milk and added a little vanilla for flavoring). This recipe is definitely a keeper!!"